A couple weeks (maybe even longer for some of you) have passed since we all began practicing self quarantining and being more vigilant about our public activities; and I don’t know about you but I feel like we’ve reached a point of starting to feel a little settled into this new routine. We have felt a ton of different emotions through all of this, as I’m sure you have to, especially since things seem to change daily and sometimes even hourly. But, we keep moving forward, left foot in front of the right foot and so on, and we allow the sunshine to shine down on us instead of raining on our parade. We’ve been digging deep in our memory banks for ideas to keep our buckets filled and I want to share a few of these ideas with you.
Here are some FUN ideas of what to do with your family when you’re stuck together at home
- Host a game night. If you have kids, play Monopoly or Scrabble for some extracurricular learning or if it’s just the adults, Cards Against Humanity is always a good time. A fun game for all ages is the dice game, left, center, right.
- Plan a movie and popcorn evening. Do a family vote on which movie you will watch.
- Set up & host a virtual party via FaceTime, Skype or Zoom with your friends or family to reconnect. Zoom is user friendly and very popular right now (the website address is zoom.us) and is free for calls with up to 100 people for 40 minutes.
- Plant a new flower bed in your yard together. Water it daily and watch it grow over time. You’ll always remember when and why you planted it.
- Since local fitness centers are closed, so many people are going outside for neighborhood walks. Have your children or grandchildren draw with sidewalk chalk on your front sidewalk with a message saying hello to your neighbors, to see it when they walk by.
- Go for a family bike ride or walk around the neighborhood to get some much needed fresh air. I enjoy being at home, but even I’m getting claustrophobic from staying home so much.
- Write “thank you for your service” letters and send them to the local hospitals for everyone on the staff, grocery store clerks, police and fire stations.
- Lastly, Have an at-home beach style picnic – with your favorite foods and beverage of choice. Sit on a blanket and use paper plates for easy clean up.
I hope these ideas get your juices flowing to create some fun activities at home
with your family.
If you like these at-home ideas and know of other families that are in need of more things to do, please go ahead and share this blog post with them, so they can join in on the fun!