We’re spilling all of our secrets here, so you can take the guesswork out of how to make your home beautifully staged before it goes on the market! Here are the top 15 simple ways to stage and turn your home into a model home!
If you’re getting ready to sell or buy a home a home, this article is for you! The value home staging brings to the selling process is incomparable to the homes which are listed for sale without an effort to stage AND it is proven that it increases the selling price.
1. What is the #1 way to stage your home? Give it a fresh coat of paint! It’s single handedly the most effective way to change your home and the cost is minimal. Have a professional do it. I’ve seen DIY paint jobs, and in the buyers eyes, although they may love the color choices, a messy paint job equals work for them, which they may shy away from or try to use it as a negotiating tool. Get the most bang for your buck when you sell by hiring a painter to give your home a paint uplift!
2. When in doubt, use plush throw pillows, subtly scented candles and scenic photo frames to stage your home.
3. Want to know an easy way to clean your home from top to bottom? Break the master list up into smaller tasks which can be done daily. We did the hardwork for you and planned out 31 days of cleaning tips. Use these tips to start preparing your home for sale. You’ll be thankful you didn’t leave them all to the last minute!
4. We talk a lot about staging your home to sell. Let’s be clear on something – you don’t have to have a perfectly perfect home to sell it. You just need to clear out the excess clutter and spend some time organizing to make it look presentable. The cabinets and drawers should be cleaned out because we encourage buyers to look through those to check their overall condition. Clearing away the clutter will help a buyer focus on the quality of the cabinetry versus the stuff inside. It will help a buyer make a clearer decision.
5. Keep it neutral and simple. Pare down to the essentials in your home to get your home show ready. Add in some props to capture the essence of a model home, like a tray with a vase of flowers on a bed or a coffee table.
6. Greenery is the name of the game. Plants breathe life into the air. A must in your every day busy life!
7. Want a burst of color in your home? STAGE it with a bright colored fruit. You have to commit to the color and display a bunch of ONE item, for example, lemons 🍋 or limes, and present in a clear tall vase in the kitchen. Using fruit gives the same idea as flowers, but instead, they’re edible. Functional and pretty!
8. A full wall mirror in the right spot in your home can make a room appear larger than it is. This beautiful dining room is the perfect example of how a mirror can accentuate a room.
9. Set the table! When selling your home, you want to give the potential buyers a reason to imagine themselves in the home. By creating an inviting atmosphere, you’ll do just that. Set your table as if you’re having a party. Use plates, napkins, silverware, glasses and a centerpiece. Don’t skimp on the pretty details. This simple tip will make people want to be in the home.
10. Breakfast in bed, anyone? For styling purposes to sell your home, add a breakfast tray with dishes, glassware and flowers to the end of the bed.
11. Create a warm ambiance during an Open House, when trying to sell your home, by lighting a seasonal scented candle in the main rooms. Think evergreen scent for a holiday month! What are your favorite holiday candle scents to use to create an inviting atmosphere?
12. Often times, coffee tables act as a catchall to all the things, like magazines and drink coasters. To make your coffee table pretty, and stay practical, find a cute basket or decorative box to place, read: hide the catalogs underneath the table. Stack a few books (remove their jackets to show off their beautiful spines) on top of the table and add a candle.
13. When you have your home listed for sale, make your guests, your prospective buyers, feel welcome upon walking through the front entryway into your home. If you’re holding an Open House or if you have several showings lined up for the afternoon, bake a fresh batch of cookies for buyers to enjoy, as a courtesy. They may have been out looking at other homes all day long prior to stopping at yours and could use a snack to refuel. What better home to re-energize in than in yours, you know, the home you want them to buy! Not to mention, it makes the house smell good and sets a warm inviting tone as they enter. Bonus: Leave out some small bottles of water to wash down the cookies! Your guests will thank you and will be an extra reminder of how lovely your home is and they just may end up making an offer to buy it!
14. To warm up an otherwise sterile space, add pillows and throws to your sofas! Choose fabrics that have character (like these pillows with reversible sequins) and/or ones which will give a color burst to the room!
15. When you’re home is listed for sale, store all small kitchen appliances in the pantry or cabinet, to clear off all counters and create a more simple look.
For additional home staging tips, check out our other staging post on the Home & Lifestyle blog and search for us on our social media channels – @hussarrealestate on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest.