The Seller’s Guide is a new Series we created, to provide useful tips to prepare you & your home for sale. Our second edition talks about defining your goals.
Define your Why – Why are you selling your home? Take some time to figure out why are you are selling and clearly define your goals. Everyone has different reasons, as you start to go through this process of discovery, focus on what is important to you & your family, as this will help streamline the selling process. Ask yourself these six important questions:
- Is there a timeline?
- Are you relocating?
- Are you looking for a bigger home or to downsize?
- Looking for a different neighborhood?
- Looking for different amenities?
- Are financial considerations relevant?
Once you’ve determined your goals, consider these next important factors. Understanding these questions will assist you in having a smooth home sale. If you answer “I don’t know” to any of these questions, it’s time to contact your preferred Realtor and review the answers with them. A knowledgeable and active Realtor will have the market insight and resources to provide to you, to answer these questions appropriately.
- Do you understand the associated costs?
- Is this the right time for you to sell?
- What are the present market conditions and the implications to your sale?
- Does your home equity give you an advantage?
- What are the current mortgage interest rate options compared to your rate and commitment?
After all of the questions have been fully satisfied, it’s important to recognize that every market is different and the selling process can be a sprint or a marathon – be prepared for both.
Looking for more real estate guidance? Refer to our other Sellers Guides for additional relevant home sale preparedness and information.